Stocktake is a vital part of maintaining inventory systems, so that any discrepancies introduced during through operational diversions can be identified and corrected. This guide is based on using the Cipherlab HHT (hand held terminal) installed with version 2.5 or later of the HHT software.
Please note: If you are untrained in this area or feel you are not completely confident in the stocktake process, you must seek assistance from Touchretail before embarking on, and finalising your stocktake.
Barcode warning: Your alias barcodes may not always match the default value returned by the HHT when scanning. This could be due to importing alias barcodes in an incorrect format, or because suppliers sometimes use different formats of the same types of barcode (a topic that is out of scope for this document). To avoid this issue, before starting a stocktake, spot check supplier barcodes by checking what the HHT says on the screen against the alias you have in TRIMS - these must match. If you are using barcodes you have printed yourself, please check against the TRIMS primary barcode, again these must match. For more information please contact Touchretail.
A stocktake has five main stages:
The stocktake process can be simple or it can be a complex procedure involving multiple HHTs and locations. We strongly advise keeping stocktakes as simple as possible, and if you don’t stocktake very often always check your process on a small sample before doing larger or full stocktakes.
1 - Preparation
- In TRIMS, check that the Discrepancies location has zero stock. If you don't have a discrepancy location (usually called losses) you will need to ask Touchretail to set this up for you. If any stock exists in Discrepancies you should Write Off prior to starting a new stocktake. NOTE that for multi-location businesses the Write Off is done prior to starting a new business-wide stocktake. The Discrepancies location in multi-location businesses is used as a temporary stock balancing utility during a stocktake until the stocktake at all locations have been completed.
- We recommend producing a Financial Summary report from your TRIMS system immediately prior to processing your stocktake. Select the Report Options to include all Variants that you will need to check back to after your stocktake. This could therefore be a lengthy report, but you don’t need to print it. Save the report as either PDF or better still as an XLSX file so that you can search for items if necessary.
- We recommend that you pause Salespush during your stocktake for any location. Please contact the TRIMS Support Team and ask them to pause Salespush for your required location.
- To prepare the Stocktake List, use the TRIMS Filter in Explorer. Select Location, and any other subset of stock or ‘All’. Apply the Filter then right click on the Filter Result. Use Action | Send to List to create the Product file.
- In TRIMS Stocktakes App, create a New Stocktake (Add Document). Select the List name that you just created, and the appropriate Stocktake (Source) location. The Discrepancy Destination is your TRIMS Discrepancies (or the name you have called it) location. Click OK – this will generate a Stocktake Ref in the format x_x, which is visible in the Pending section of the Stocktakes Tree-view.
- If validating barcodes, download TRIMS barcodes to the HHT through Assets | Scanners. Select the COM port that the HHT is connected to, and Download Barcodes. Note that this sends all TRIMS barcodes to the HHT regardless of any Stocktake Product selection you may have made.
- If validating scanned barcodes, check HHT setting 7-No Barcode Check = 0 (access through Main Menu | 6-Utilities). This ensures that when scanning barcodes the HHT will only recognise barcodes that were included in the download file from TRIMS.
- Make sure that any previous stockcheck data is deleted from the HHT before you begin scanning a new stocktake (Main Menu | 6-Utilities | 1-Delete Data).
- Set up the stocktake on the HHT by Main Menu | 2-Set Mode | 5-Stocktake. The Ref will be the TRIMS generated reference as in 1.5 above – the HHT will accept a dot as the underscore.
2 - Scanning
- Use the HHT to scan barcodes for all items which are to be part of the stocktake. Refer to separate notes (if available) for HHT device-specific instructions.
3 - Upload Stocktake
- When all items have been scanned, upload the HHT data by connecting to the COM port and in TRIMS go to Assets | Scanners | Upload Scans.
- The Event Centre (envelope icon) will inform you when the uploaded file has been processed, depending on the size of your stocktake this can take some time. You can manually check if the file has been processed by clicking on the Notifications (envelope) icon.
4 - Review Stocktake
- To review the stocktake, open the TRIMS Stocktakes App and go to the Pending section of the Tree-view. Open up either All or the Branch number and click on the stocktake Ref number. This stocktake Ref will then appear in the Details section (above the Pending section).
- You can view the overall progress by running a category listing at the top level. To run a listing on the top level you must first apply an empty filter – this is a safety precaution to stop users accidentally running intensive processes on their entire system. When the view loads you will see the entire progress of your stocktake.
- To review discrepancies, in Stocktakes | Details click on the ‘+’ sign to the left of the Filter icon, then the ‘+’ sign to the left of ‘Miscellaneous’. Use the drop-down to the right of ‘All Stocktake’ to select ‘Discrepancies’, then click on the Filter icon.
- Right click on the Filter Result, then select View | Item Listings. This will display the stocktake data as uploaded, including columns for System (the original TRIMS quantity), Stocktake (the scanned quantity) and Discrepancy (the Stocktake quantity less the System quantity).
- Like all TRIMS Lists, the stocktake Item Listing can be sorted by any column. It’s useful to click on the Discrepancy column to order by the highest (or highest negative) discrepancy. You may want to adjust a figure before finalising the stocktake.
- To make a manual adjustment to the stocktake data, find the Product in the Tree, and click on the Product Description. This will replace the stocktake Item Listing by the Stocktake Product Listing. With the ‘Add’ tab highlighted click ‘Edit’ to add a quantity to the stocktake quantity (or use a negative figure to reduce the stocktake quantity). Note that this Addition will add the figure entered to the stocktake figure (not replace it). Click ‘Save’ to apply the Adjustment.
- You can check the figures by clicking on the Stocktake, System and Comparison tabs.
- Right click on the Filter Result again to return to the full stocktake Item Listing.
- Before finalising the stocktake we recommend exporting the Item Listing to Excel and saving for future reference, if required.
5 - Finalise Stocktake
- To finalise the stocktake, right click on the Filter Result and select Finalise Stocktake. Note that you can finalise a stocktake at any level, so if you need to finalise most of the stocktake but re-check or investigate one or two exceptions, finalise the acceptable levels.
- The discrepancies will be transferred to the Discrepancy location. When the stocktake has been fully finalised contact TRIMS Support to put Salespush back to live.
- Generate a Sales Listing for any items sold during the period of the stocktake. If these were scanned as part of the stocktake you need to reduce the stock by these sales at Item level.
- For future reference generate a Financial Report at the same level as previously done prior to the stocktake. The Financial Report should be for the Source Location and Discrepancy location. The Report Totals should balance with the original Financial Report.
- When the stocktake has been completed for all locations, clear down the Discrepancies location by converting the stock to Write Off.