When you have one product with multiple variants which you want to split out into separate products, for example, 3 colours within one record number, you can split them out using the following procedure.
- Drill down on the product to the selected variant e.g. colour.
- Make sure you have selected the pencil in the navigation pane.
- Right click on the variant, then go to modify and reassign record number.
- A prompt will then appear, asking you to type in "CHANGE".
- Once this has been done, you will then have to find the product in the list of products in that category.
- The product will initially have the same name as the original product, rename this to your preference.
Warning, in some cases reassigning a record number can break the link between TRIMS and 3rd party products. Please check before doing so if you are unsure.
In the case of Magento, and most other eCommerce systems, you would need to delete the products from the website which would trigger them to be recreated in their new form.